Lying far out in the North Atlantic, the volcanic island of Iceland is a land between two continents, a land of fire and ice with a Viking heritage. While Iceland does not have a long list of breeding birds, those that do occur are in many cases abundant, with globally important populations of waders, wildfowl and seabirds. Its towering cliffs host some of the largest seabird colonies on the planet, with five species of breeding auk, including Brunnich’s Guillemot, while the numerous lakes and wetlands are teeming with an array of loons, ducks and waders, such as Harlequin Duck, Barrow’s Goldeneye, Red-necked Phalarope and Purple Sandpiper. Top of many people’s wish list is the world’s largest falcon, the Gyrfalcon, and Iceland has a healthy population of this supreme predator. Iceland has also become a premier whale watching destination. As a backdrop to this there is the country itself, with its volcanoes, lava fields, glaciers, spouting geysers, mud pools, dramatic coasts and black sand beaches - spectacular scenery at every turn.
Group Size: 12
- Escorted by Dr. Keith Wade
- On site lectures
- Economy airfare with Icelandair Vancouver/Keflavik and return
- 14 nights accommodation in hotels/country inns with private facilities
- All ground transportation as indicated in the itinerary
- Boat trips to two Flatey (flat) Islands
- Local driver and guide for duration of tour
- Gratuities to driver and guide
- Meals including daily breakfast, packed lunch and dinner
- Airport taxes of approx. $90
- Items of a personal nature
- Inflight meals in economy class
Deposit: cad1,500 per person
Travel Insurance: Our comprehensive insurance package covers trip cancellation/interruption in the event of cancellation due to personal or family illness, excess hospital/-medical benefits, baggage and travel accident. For those under 61 years, the premium is $553. From 61 to 65 years, the premium is $701. From 66 - 70 the premium is $859 and from 71-76, $973. Some exclusions for pre-existing conditions do apply. Please ask for details. Premiums are payable at time of first deposit.
Cancellation: All payments are non-refundable unless space can be resold.
All prices are in Canadian dollars unless otherwise stated and may be subject to change. Great Expeditions reserves the right to make changes in itinerary if it is deemed necessary.
B.C. Reg. 2622-4